Report an adult at risk

If you are concerned about possible abuse or neglect, then please contact social services to talk about the concern. Please don't assume that someone else will report the concern and don't worry if you think you might be wrong - it is still important for someone with experience and responsibility to look into it. It is our responsibility to do so.

If you or someone you know is being abused and is in immediate danger, you need to do something straight away to stop them or others being hurt. You should ring 999 and tell the operator what is happening.

If you think a crime might have taken place, such as rape, assault or theft, please ring the police and be careful not to remove or destroy any evidence.

If you are worried about contacting the police you can always contact social services to talk things over first.

Wherever you live, whether it's a care home, your own home or whichever place you have visited, such as a hospital, health centre or college and you've experienced or witnessed an abusive situation, you can ring your local social services office for help and advice.

You do not have to say who you are but this may make it more difficult for us to investigate and protect you or the person being abused.

If you feel nervous about talking to social services, you could ask someone to talk to us on your behalf. This could be a nurse, a carer, an advocate or a friend or relative you trust.

If you are concerned about abuse or neglect please contact the following:

Blaenau Gwent
Tel: 01495 315700

Tel: 0808 100 2500

Tel: 01495 762200

Tel: 01633 656656
Email: or

Tel: 01873 735492

If it is an emergency and you need to contact us outside of office hours please call our Emergency Duty Team on 0800 328 4432.

What will happen if you report the abuse?

We will provide you with the support and advice you need to help you to make any decisions and will help you in taking action to end the abuse and ensure that it doesn't happen again.

What you tell us will be treated sensitively but we may have to tell other people to help us to investigate the concern.

If abuse is reported to social services, we may arrange for an investigation to take place, which will follow the guidance set out in the Wales Interim Policy and Procedures for the Protection of Vulnerable Adults from Abuse (Jan 2013) This may involve several agencies e.g. health services and police. Action will then be taken to ensure you (or the person being abused) is protected in the future.

Duty to Report Form

The Duty to Report Form is a formal document for use by professionals ordinarily; however anybody can make a referral. A "report" is the direct reporting of an allegation, concern or disclosure to a statutory organisation such as Social Services, Police or Health. It is a concern that is formally recorded on a Form, and is the start of the formal adult protection process.

When considering whether to submit a Report, please refer to the 'Adult Safeguarding - To Report or Not to Report' document which will provide you with useful guidance on this decision. 

Who may be an "Adult at risk"

The Social Services and Well-Being (Wales) Act 2014 states that an "adult at risk", is an adult who:

  • is experiencing or is at risk of abuse or neglect,
  • has needs for care and support (whether or not the authority is meeting any of those needs), and
  • as a result of those needs is unable to protect himself or herself against the abuse or neglect or the risk of it

If you are concerned about a child at risk visit the Report a Child at Risk page.